Looking for a session player, instrument tuition etc.? Get in touch!
I’m a professional musician based in Bradford-on-Avon, which is just outside Bath and about 2 or 3 hours West of London. I’d be interested to hear from you about live and studio work both locally and further afield, and I also have the possibility of home recording.
I have nearly 15 years of performing, recording and teaching experience, my main two instruments being fiddle/violin and dobro (lap style resophonic slide guitar) alongside guitar, banjo, mandolin, lap steel and I also sing (but definitely not dance!). My passion musically speaking is bluegrass and country, but I have experience playing various other folk styles as well as classical and pop. As a bluegrass musician, I’m a quick learner by ear and no stranger to improvisation, but I’m also a competent music reader.
My own bands:
- Fast rising IBMA award nominated bluegrass band, Midnight Skyracer
- The Carrivick Sisters – a duo with my sister
- Progressive bluegrass quartet, Cardboard Fox
People I’ve performed/toured with:
- Sir Tom Jones and Imelda May (one off live perfomance on the BBC’s One Show) (fiddle)
- Megan McKenna (star of The Only Way is Essex and country singer) debut tour (fiddle, guitar, dobro, banjo, backing vocals)
- Maz O’Connor, folk singer songwriter. Several tours and performances. (fiddle, banjo, lap steel, backing vocals)
- John Smith “Eavesdropping” – 2011 album (fiddle)
- “Wild Rose” film starring Jessie Buckley, Julie Walters and Sophie Okonedo soundtrack and soundtrack album, set for release Spring 2019 (fiddle, banjo and mandolin)
- Various bits of library music
“…an immeasurably talented multi-instrumentalist… – Americana UK
“…formidable multi-instrumental skills…”
– Q Magazine
“Laura’s fiddle and Dobro playing are astounding” – Maverick Magazine
Some old time/bluegrass fiddling at a rehearsal just before the Sore Fingers Summer School tutor concert, with fellow tutors and staff Mike Witcher (dobro), Grant Gordy (guitar), Rex Preston (mandolin) and Miranda Sykes (bass).
Fiddle/backing vocals – some modern country with Megan McKenna live at Scala, London:
Dobro on an original song (co-written with Tabitha Agnew) with Midnight Skyracer:
Banjo on a ‘Songs from the Shed’ session with Maz O’Connor –
Guitar/vocals in The Carrivick Sisters on an original song:
Vocals, fiddle and (at the end) a little bit of lap steel on a Cardboard Fox original:
…and finally some fast bluegrass fiddling with Midnight Skyracer!